White fungus, also known as snow fungus, silver fungus, 银耳，雪耳, is considered the best among all edible fungus/mushroom. It’s known to nourish, detox, improve appetite and respiratory system especially the lungs. It’s also believed to enhance immunity. White fungus are mainly used in desserts. Coupled with dried longan, black sugar and china barley, the following dessert is nourishing without too much ‘heat’ because of the china barley. Perfect for our humid weather!
Ingredients (serves about 8 pax)
China barley – 1/3 cup, rinse and set aside.
Dried longan – 2 tablespoons, rinse and set aside.
White fungus – 10-15gm when in their dry form. Soak overnight with room temperature water, leave it in the fridge. On the day you cook, discard water, cut them into smaller pieces with a pair of scissors. Some prefer to throw away the roots, but I like these crunching parts hence I’m keeping them.
Black sugar – 1/2 to 1 cup, depending how sweet you want it to be.
3 liters of water
1. Bring 3 liters of water to boil in a pot.
2. Put in China barley and dried longan. Bring it to boil again. Lid on and let it simmer at low fire for about 45 minutes, or until the barleys are soften.
3. Put in white fungus and black sugar. Lid on and let it simmer for another 20-30 minutes.
4. Turn off the fire and let it sit for 20 minutes. The white fungus will puff up further.
5. Serve! You can choice to either serve it hot or cold.