This is probably one of the best chocolate cake recipe. It’s vegan, meaning no egg, no dairy. It’s moist. It’s quick and easy. The best part is I do not need to whip out my electric cake mixer! Woohoo! I got this recipe from EmmyMadeInJapan youtube channel, which apparently it’s from “The Moosewood Cookbook”. Anyway, here it is!
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour aka plain flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar (I use brown sugar)
1/2 cup oil (I use corn oil)
1 cup cold water or coffee (please not instant coffee mix!)
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoon vinegar (I use rice vinegar)
1 – 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips (non-dairy if making a vegan cake. I used a cup of semi sweet chocolate chips.)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (approximately 190°C).
2. Sift all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl, except brown sugar.
3. Pour brown sugar into the dry mix and give it a good stir with a whisk.
4. Add in wet ingredients except vinegar and give it a good stir. Make sure everything is incorporated.
5. Add chocolate chips and vinegar, stir quickly leaving some swirls of bubbling; don’t over mix.
6. Pour batter into a greased 9″ cake pan or into a muffin tin. I used two medium size loaf shape bake liners from Daiso. I have also decorated one of the cake with banana slices on top, that’s optional.
7. Bake for 30-40 minutes for a cake pan, 18-20 minutes for muffins, or until a wooden skewer comes out clean. I baked for about an hour plus in my top cover oven.
Oven temperature: 190°C / 375°F
Baking time: Bake for 30-40 minutes for a cake pan, 18-20 minutes for muffins, or until a wooden skewer comes out clean. I baked for about an hour plus in my top cover oven perhaps because my oven isn’t very capable of retaining heat and maintaining temperature.
Note: If your oven can only bake in batches, I would suggest you to stir in the vinegar only when you are ready to bake them. This is because you need the vinegar to react with the baking soda to raise, especially since this is an eggless recipe.